Sport nutrition – facts or fiction?
- Should they be supplemented in athletes?
Sport nutrition – special edition
A Healthy Immune System – doing sport during Winter
A number of big endurance events are approaching, of which the Comrades Marathon is best known. To prepare for such an event, training starts months in advance and builds-up in intensity. As training intensifies and winter approaches the athlete often gets sick. Research shows Upper Respiratory Tract Infections most often occur. Here are some strategies that may help to promote a healthy immune system while training hard.Read more
Recovery – is it important for sport performance?
In a nutshell, the recovery phase involves:
- Restoration of muscle and liver glycogen stores, depleted by exercise
- Replacement of fluids and electrolytes lost via sweat and breathing
- Regeneration, repair and adaptation which takes place after catabolic stress and damage
- This includes protein synthesis and breakdown as well as immune and antioxidant defence systems